81. MoonWalk, anyone?

Inspired by my older daughter who has just completed a fundraising Santa Run, and my sister-in-law who is going to do the 2015 London MoonWalk, I have decided to sign up too. Not for the Santa thing, but the MoonWalk thing. It's happening on the 16th May 2015.

Anyone interested in walking through the night with me? Around London? In a bra? (Yes, even the gentlemen.)

I've often thought that it would be fun to join this annual event, which raises money for breast cancer (or should that be against breast cancer) - but I've never really had any personal connection to the Breast Cancer Cause before. Well, now I do.

You could say that again.

Haven't heard of the MoonWalk? Have a look at the website, here.

It is a night-time walk through London (no running allowed). Thousands of people take part. Fancy bras are part of the package: the fancier, the better.



Previous MoonWalks
Sounds jolly, but be warned: it's not a walk in the park. It's a Marathon (26.2 miles), although there is the option of doing only half (13.1 miles), which I think I might have to limit myself to this time round. It starts and ends at Clapham Common, which is, conveniently, at the bottom of our street.

Registering for this challenge is an act of optimism ("I will be strong enough in five months' time! I will!"). At present, it feels like stupidity to think that I might be able to walk five miles, let alone 13. But hey, five months is a long time. Sunshine, moonshine, here I come. (So I tell myself.)

I wouldn't mind a bit of company, so if anyone would like to join me... You can enter as a team (The Night Owls?). You can have a team made up of both full- and half-marathon walkers; they just make sure that you are able to start together.

Anyone joining is expected to raise at least £100 for the charity. You also have to pay a registration fee of just under £50.

I'm keen to register quite soon, as they have to limit the numbers and it's usually over-subscribed. So if you are interested, let me know soon! They don't know it yet, but I'm sure I can persuade the home front to cook us all a decent breakfast on arrival...



Comments